Sign in to follow this  
leader

Remove Safe Zones from all Maps

I would like to suggest that we remove all safe zones from game.  Shelter is plentiful....and you use archaeology room to teleport into the map at random location.  So what's the point of safe zones?  Lately, certain schools just hide in safe zones, then attack and withdraw into it.  I don't think such a tactics should be available to "pvper".

I have to agree with you, I am not much for PVP but I don't really care for people that do things like this. 

I'm actually all for this. As you've said shelter charms are easy to get if you do archaeology. As it is right now mounts don't really have a use and I know we plan to do some type of upgrade for mounts in the level cap. We've already removed teleport stones as a drop item and honestly I'd like to phase out the teleport stone feature anyways. Mounts don't have much use right now If you can go where you need to with a click. We still have earth temples and other various ways to teleport. I know there will be some that won't agree with this but sometimes things need to change. The game needs more pvp and there are ways to avoid pvp if that is your choice.

Posted (edited)

Speaking for myself, I don't agree. Not everyone wants to PVP, but removing safe zones forces people to play or pay.
Sure, people will always abuse any opportunity to get an advantage. But that's the nature of people.
Until shelters don't use a buff slot, they can be a pain in the arse if all you want to do is kill arch bosses who can drop a couple of de-buffs on you in a flash.
Sure, take off the meridian glow and don't use a looter, and don't have a relic that randomly drops on an additional buff, and don't use gear that can also randomly give you an extra buff, but that's sacrificing some aspects of the game for others.
There are plenty of other things that need attention before thinking about exposing PVE players to PVP predators.

Edited by DocDemented
Didn't like how I ended the rant

1. Not everyone wants to PVP, but removing safe zones forces people to play or pay?  This does not logically follow.  So, you are saying without safe zone you can't play?

2.  Sure, people will always abuse any opportunity to get an advantage. But that's the nature of people.  So, we should accept that and do nothing, even if it is a simple fix?

3.  Until shelters don't use a buff slot, they can be a pain in the arse if all you want to do is kill arch bosses who can drop a couple of de-buffs on you in a flash.  So, are you suggesting that we shouldn't have shelter in game?  

4.  There are plenty of other things that need attention before thinking about exposing PVE players to PVP predators.  So, removing safezones exposes people to predator, but not needing shelter wouldn't?  I am confused.  You are at one end saying that shelter charm is a pain and you are claiming that safe zones in a limited area protect people from being attacked?  So, the question, should we make the whole game non-pvp?

Either you play PVP, or pay one way or another to avoid being taken out by whoever wanders by.

It's a simple fix for stopping schools from taking advantage of safe zones, but that's the only thing it fixes. Sure, if school wars are the only thing you're concerned with, but that's a pretty narrow view of a game that's supposed to be a rich and varied environment. Hell, we could make cars safer by making them unable to travel more than 10mph, but nobody wants that. Same thing.

What I'm suggesting is that players who don't want to be taken out by any PKer while they're playing the environment have to choose between being protected from that, and having some of the plentiful buffs available that help with that aspect of the game.

I didn't think I could be more clear, but I'll take a shot at it. Yes, I could wear a shelter, and prevent the likelihood that players will roll along and PK me while I go to the bathroom, or make my lunch, or whatever. Or I could go back to town and waste time coming and going. Yes I could spend my arch rep on landmarks and choose where I can drop my ONLY save location. Why should EVERY player be restricted in what they can and can't do, specifically what map they can be safe in without fear of a shelter expiring while they're not watching, simply because some people choose to exploit safe zones.

To address your final question, no, we shouldn't make the entire game non-pvp, but we SHOULD allow players to choose whether they want to pvp or not. Until shelters do not use a buff slot, players should not have their safety options reduced by removal of safe zones.

Let me get this straight,  your ultimate conclusion is "To address your final question, no, we shouldn't make the entire game non-pvp, but we SHOULD allow players to choose whether they want to pvp or not. Until shelters do not use a buff slot, players should not have their safety options reduced by removal of safe zones."

Are you telling me, when you go outside, you don't wear shelter, but just move from safe stone to safe stone because a shelter will give you 1 extra buff?  

I'm saying that it's pretty one-sided that I have to sacrifice a buff just so that a PKer won't take me out while I'm arching just so they can take my boss.
If you want non-safezone areas for your school squabbles, have your fights in areas far removed from safe zones (like 90% of DM or FP) but don't change the entire game just so YOU can play how & where YOU want. To hell with anyone else seems to be your attitude.

23 minutes ago, DocDemented said:

I'm saying that it's pretty one-sided that I have to sacrifice a buff just so that a PKer won't take me out while I'm arching just so they can take my boss.
If you want non-safezone areas for your school squabbles, have your fights in areas far removed from safe zones (like 90% of DM or FP) but don't change the entire game just so YOU can play how & where YOU want. To hell with anyone else seems to be your attitude.

Frankly, I think you are confused and your thought process is all over the place.  You seem to have a big problem with shelter charm and nothing to do with my suggestion.  

You don't like an extra buff with your shelter, then don't wear one.  I'll see you personally to offer you a one way ticket back to town.

My thought processes are straight, it's only you who doesn't follow.
As I said, if you want to school war, do it somewhere there aren't safe zones. Problem solved.
Removing safe zones entirely is a pointless exercise that benefits only a few.

My point about shelters has obviously passed well over your head so I won't bother trying to explain further.

A one-way ticket back to town ? Is that some sort of threat intended to intimidate me ? Gosh, I'm quaking ....

Do you wear shelter when you do arch or go into a pvpable map?

If you say NO, then we can debate.  If you say Yes, then wtf does safe zone has to do with anything?  it is moot.

When I have the choice, no I don't wear a shelter.
When there a dozen JustPK players and a dozen Wanted or VU characters playing silly buggers in the same map, then hell yes.

Shelter charm is always going to take up a buff spot but this whole conversation did get me thinking of a way to change how shelter charm is used. I can't say for sure atm but it is possible I could change it so it doesn't use a visible buff but I can also make it so that other players would be able to tell by an effect if a player has a shelter charm effect on. This would also fix the issue of players abusing the ability to turn shelter charm off whenever they want to during a fight to quickly kill someone seeing as you wouldn't be able to disable the shelter charm buff.

For sure something that I will be thinking about for the level cap.

@Admin-EdenostThe only people why care whether someone is sheltered are those who want to PK them. In such a case, not being able to do so should be a bit of a giveaway.
Certainly, being unable to remove a shelter isn't a bad thing. PK players would just never use them, and gee, they'll just have to adjust.
The only benefit of an effect is to tell the player themselves when their shelter has expired (which isn't a bad thing, of course)..